14 days | Guided | From £1,349
A different way to travel through Vietnam
- Trek amongst the hill tribes of the north
- Kayak in Halong Bay
- Learn to cook Vietnamese style onboard a boat
- Enjoy the wonderful beachside town of Hoi An
- Explore the Mekong Delta by boat and on foot
After exploring the sights of Hanoi, we head to Vietnam's northern mountainous border country by overnight sleeper train. We then spend the next few days trekking through a verdant landscape of terraced hills, jungle, rivers and most of all the colourful tribes people who live here. Journeying on foot allows us to escape the tourist traps and really get close to the likes of the Red Dzao, Black Dao and Black H'mong people as trek from village to village. Not only that, we'll actually stay in these tribal villages in the locals' homes.
Returning to Hanoi we then head to the coast and stunning Halong Bay where we take an overnight Junk cruise and kayak amongst the tiny islands rising out of the waters of Halong Bay. We then fly to historic Hue and explore a completely different rural, beautiful landscape off the beaten track by bicycle, as well as all the Imperial Citadel of Hue too.
We then enjoy the scenic drive to the wonderful UNESCO World Heritage town of Hoi An. Naturally, we'll explore the delights of Hoi An, but we'll also indulge ourselves by taking the 'Cinnamon Cruise' where we can even take a lesson to cook delicious Vietnamese food. After some beach time we then fly down to Saigon and explore all the major attractions of this buzzing city. Our Vietnam journeys swansong is a boat trip into the Mekong Delta, where we then take a cycle amongst sleepy villages, meet the friendly local farmers and row a boat to find a nice water-coconut palm tree to chill out under.
- Day 1 Depart UK
- Depart UK on an overnight flight to Hanoi.
- Day 2 Arrive Hanoi
- Arrive Hanoi. Rendezvous at the group hotel in Hanoi in time for a 2000hrs pre-trip briefing.
- Day 3 Explore Hainoi, train to Lao Cai
- We enjoy a tour of the most significant sights of Hanoi and before boarding our overnight sleeper train north to Lao Cai.
- Day 4 Visit local market, boat trip, drive to Sapa
- Arrive in Lao Cai this morning, scenid drive to the beautiful BAc Ha river to commence a day trekking supported by wonderful views. Later, drive to Sapa.
- Day 5 Start the 3 day highlands trek
- Arriving Lao Cai early morning we transfer to Bac Ha, check in to our hotel, have breakfast and then head out on foot for an exploratory walk amongst the villages of the Flower H'Mong tribe.
- Day 6 Hill Tribe Trekking
- Continue to trek through the valley walking through a rural, hilly landscape. Afternoon free to relax and enjoy the scenery. We spend tonight in the home of a Red Dzao family in Nam Mon.
- Day 7 Tribal Trekking and overnight train to Hanoi
- We walk to the only Giay tribal village in the Sa Pa Valley and then head down through forests of bamboo to a Red Dzao village and to Sa Pa. Here we can freshen up at our hotel before boarding the overnight train back to Hanoi.
- Day 8 Hanoi to Halong Bay
- After breakfast on arrival in Hanoi we travel overland to the coast and board our junk to cruise amongst the stunning, jagged islands of Halong Bay. We enjoy a spot of kayaking in a lagoon and spend the night on board our junk.
- Day 9 Fly to Hue
- Wake on board the junk, and perhaps take an early morning dip before a spot of cruising to caves. It's then back to Hanoi to take a flight to Hue.
- Day 10 Rural Hue by bicycle
- We spend today exploring the beautiful countryside around Hue by bicycle. We meet the locals along the way and can observe traditional crafts as we head fro the Imperial Citadel. We then cycle along the banks of the Perfume River and return to Hue.
- Day 11 Scenic drive to Hoi An
- On arrival in the lovely town of Hoi An, 15 minutes from white sandy beaches, we will take a walking tour.
- Day 12 Cinnamon Boat Cruise and Vietnamese Cooking
- After visiting the Cham Towers and My Son we take the Cinnamon Cruise boat, which also includes an introdcutory cooking class and the delights of Vietnamese cuisine. Arriving back in Hoi An mid-afternoon, the rest of the day is free to explore Vietnams most renowned coastal resort, or simply have the pleasure of relaxing on the beach.
- Day 13 Fly to Saigon
- A short flight to Saigon, where after checking into our hotel we'll take a guided tour of Vietnams capital city.
- Day 14 Mekong Delta
- We head for the wonderful Mekong Delta and then travel by boat into the heart of the delta region, and explore this fascinating, fertile rural area on foot. Returning to Saigon we can celebrate the end of our amazing adventure through colourful, friendly Vietnam.
- Day 15 Depart Saigon
- Depart Saigon on an overnight flight back to the UK
- Day 16 Arrive UK
- Flights arrive back in the UK today
- 'At a Glance' trip features : Trekking, culture, staying with local tribes people, cycling, junk cruising, sea-kayaking, cooking, boat trips, overland travel, sleeper trains, sightseeing.
- Trip Code: AAVH
- Physical Grade: B/C - Moderate - Demanding
- Adventure Grade: B
- Group Size (Min - Max) : 4 - 10
- Accommodation : Hotel x 8, Homestay x 2, Sleeper Train x 2, Junk Cruise x 1
- Meals : 12 breakfasts, 6 lunches and 2 evening meals incl
- Overseas joining point : Group hotel in Hanoi