11 days | Guided | From £934
Experience the real Thailand as we take you slightly off the standard tourist trail while still taking in some of the major highlights; visit ethnic tribal villages, trek through the jungle, travel like a local on an overnight train, stay in a comfortable homestay, learn to cook local delicacies and join in alms offering to the Buddhist monks. Enjoy this beautiful country for what it really is.
11 days | Guided | From £934
See the real Thailand on this adventure holiday
- Take a longtail boat trip to the 'Bridge on the River Kwai'
- Visit Buddhist Temples
- Explore local villages outside of Bangkok by bicycle
- Travel on the overnight train to Chiang Mai
- Stay in a comfortable homestay
Usually if you ask anyone who has travelled around S.E. Asia they'll say Thailand was their favourite and if your idea of adventure isn't lazing around on a beach then this affordable and fun journey to the north of Thailand may be just for you. For total authenticity our journey uses a fascinating mixture of public transport e.g bus, train, boat, songthaews etc. Not only does this 'keep it real', it's a great way to meet and experience the real Thailand, as well as keeping the costs sensible too.
Learn more about Thailand's involvement in the 2nd World War at Hellfire Pass and the Bridge on the River Kwai before we move on to our accommodation beautifully set beside the river. From here we can enjoy a longtialed boat trip, jungle trekking and a visit to a nearby ethnic tribal village.
Today we take a ride on the historic death railway train before returning to BAngkok railway statoin (by minibus) in time to catch the overnight train to Chiang Mai. It is a fantastic way to travel as you roll out from the hectic city, passing through suburbs and onto the countryside as the night sets in. Converse with your fellow travellers and enjoy waking up in a different part of the country.
On arrival in Chiang Mai, you will have the rest of the day at leisure to explore this pleasant city at your own pace. One of the last highlights of this trip is a true experience of Thai country living at Khum Lanna Lodge homestay. Here we enjoy a cookery class, cycle rides, visits to local markets and even a therapeutic herbal massage if you wish! Your final night will be back in Chiang Mai, a great way to finish this wonderful adventure in Thailand.
- Day 1 Depart UK
- Overnight flight to Thailand.
- Day 2 Arrive Bangkok
- Arrive Bangkok. Rendezvous at the group hotel in time for a pre-trip meeting in the evening.
- Day 3 Bangkok countryside by bike
- Today we take an excursion away from the hustle and bustle of the city to explore the surrounding suburbs by bike. Get a real taste of local life in Thailand.
- Day 4 River Kwai tour
- On our way to the Kanchanaburi province, visit the Thailand Burma Railway Centre, Allied War Cemetery and of course, the Bridge over the River Kwai. Finally a long-tailed boat takes us to our lodge set over the river.
- Day 5 Tribal village and jungle trekking
- After breakfast, visit nearby ethnic Mon Tribal Village and take a trek through the jungle. Afternoon at leisure to enjoy the setting of the lodge.
- Day 6 Train to Chiang Mai
- Take a ride on the historic detah railway train passing over the original wooden viaduct constructed by allied prisoners of war. Afterwards, drive to Bangkok railway station for the experiential overnight train to Chiang Mai.
- Day 7 Arrive Chiang Mai
- The train pulls into Chiang Mai early this morning. You will be transferred to the hotel and the rest of the day is at leisure.
- Day 8 At leisure
- Today is free for you to explore Chiang Mai at your own pace, visit the markets, local temples, or simply relax at the hotel.
- Days 9-10 Khum Lanna Lodge Thai country living experience
- Our two day excursion is spent at a lovely lodge which doubles up as a homestay experience. Here we will learn to cook some of the delicious Thai dishes, visit a local market, cycle around the local area and more.
- Day 11 Return to Chiang Mai
- If you get up early today, your hosts will welcome you to join them in the Buddhist tradition of alms and food offerings to the monks. Afterwards, cycle around the village and visit Buddhist temples. Later return to Chiang Mai for your final night in Thailand. Why not visit the famous night market.
- Day 12 Depart Thailand
- Depart Chiang Mai on an overnight flight back to the UK.
- Day 13 Arrive UK
- Most flights arrive in the UK early this morning.
- 'At a Glance' trip features : Overnight train, trekking, culture, meet the locals
- Trip Code: ATAT
- Physical Grade: B - Moderate
- Adventure Grade: B
- Group Size (Min - Max) : 4 - 14
- Accommodation : Hotel x 5, Lodge x 4, overnight train x 1
- Meals : 9 breakfasts, 7 lunches and 4 evening meals incl
- Overseas joining point : Group hotel in Bangkok