14 days | Guided | From £1,704
India is a vast country with an exciting hedonistic mix of landscapes and traditions. On this cycling holiday, as well as exploring the major sights of Rajasthan such as the Taj Mahal, the Amber Fort and lakeside Udaipur, your senses will be invigorated as you travel off the beaten track and get closer to local life.
14 days | Guided | From £1,704
Cycle off the beaten track in marvellous India
- Cycle off the beaten track on backroads thorough local villages
- Experience India's infamous train journeys
- Game watching in Sariska National Park
- Stay in the beautiful peaceful lakeside city of Udaipur
- Visit the spectacular Taj Mahal
India conjures so up many different images; the iconic Taj Mahal, bustling Delhi, golden palm fringed beaches of Kerala, snow-capped mountains of the Himalayas, hectic train stations, majestic temples, lush green tea plantations, chaotic roads, colourful markets, delectable curries, beautiful elephants and elusive tigers, shanty towns, Bollywood movies and exotic dancers.. And the list goes on. It is this variety which makes India such a desirable destination as travellers want to see just how all of this blends together. Embracing the chaos of the urban life in India can become part of the thrill of the journey and makes the rural elements even more rewarding.
We provide you with an excellent support team through your driver, guide and mechanic who between them will alleviate any difficulties of travelling around India. Furthermore, travelling by bicycle gives you the opportunity to escape some of the busy roads by taking quieter backstreets where you can get a taste of real India at a gentler pace. Unlike many companies, we provide you with bicycles (of good quality and fitted to your size) so all you need to bring aside your regular travel essentials and padded shorts, is a helmet.
This trip is a fantastic route for the first time visitor to India as it takes in the major highlights and more. You will stay in comfortable hotels, all with en-suites and most with swimming pools so at the end of a hard day's cycle, you can relax with a refreshing dip and enjoy your accommodation. One night will be spent on an overnight train which is an experience not to be missed.
All in all, this is a highly recommended trip for those with an interest in cycling, a reasonable fitness level and a zestful sense of adventure.
- Day 1 Depart UK
- Overnight flight to India.
- Day 2 Arrive Delhi
- Rendezvous at the group hotel for a trip briefing and bicycle fitting. Rest of the day is at leisure to relax.
- Day 3 Morning cycle tour of New Delhi, afternoon tour of Old Delhi
- To ease into the cycling, we explore quieter parts of new Delhi by bicycle. To visit Old Delhi you will be driven to the main sights and walk around them with your guide. Overnight sleeper train to Udaipur.
- Day 4 Arrive Udaipur
- On arrival the rest of the morning is at leisure to enjoy this beautiful and peaceful lakeside city. In the afternoon, we'll take a cycle tour to the City Palace and temple. (Cycle distance 20kms)
- Day 5 Cycle to Kumbhalgargh
- Ride along secluded backroads to the fort of Kumbhalgargh, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. (Cycle distance 75kms)
- Day 6 Cycle / drive to Pushkar
- Enjoy the local scenery as you ride along backroads to this holy town. Due to the distance, for part of this journey you will be driven so you can sit back and rest your legs. This evening there is an optional walk to the hilltop temple for sunset. (Cycle distance 65kms)
- Day 7 Cycle / drive to Jaipur
- Again there will be a mix of cycling and driving via rural villages and Rupnagar as you head to the colourful city of Jaipur. (Cycle distance 94kms)
- Day 8 Explore Jaipur
- Today you will have a break from cycling as you are taken on a guided exploration of Jaipur, visiting the Palace of the Winds, the impressive Amber Fort, the City Palace and the observatory.
- Day 9 Cycle / drive to Sariska National Park
- Early morning start as we cycle / drive to Sariska National Park, via Pratap Gargh. On arrival, we will enjoy an afternoon game drive. (Cycling distance 70kms)
- Day 10 Game drives
- No cycling today as we have a morning and evening game drive in the National Park hopefully spotting the elusive tiger. The afternoon is free to relax at the hotel.
- Day 11 Cycle / drive to Baratphur
- Back on the bikes as we do a mix of driving and cycling to Bharatpur National Park which is famous for its bird's sanctuary. (Cycling distance 85kms)
- Day 12- Visit bird sanctuary and on to Agra
- This morning we can enjoy watching colourful native birds as we cycle through the Bharatpur bird sanctuary. Late morning we will continue to Fatehpur Sikri, the deserted royal city. The final leg of our journey to Agra will by minibus. (Cycling distance 40kms)
- Day 13 Taj Mahal
- Something you might have been waiting to see for a lifetime, today we can visit the majestic Taj Mahal and the Red Fort. Drive back to Delhi. No cycling today.
- Day 14 Depart Delhi
- Sadly it's time for the adventure to end, although your legs might be ready for the break. Most flights arrive back in the UK the same day.
- Trip Features: Cycling, culture, game drives, train travel and overland journeys
- Trip Code: AICR
- Physical Grade: C - demanding
- Adventure Grade: C
- Group Size (min-max): 4-14
- Accommodation: 11 x hotel, 1 x overnight train
- Meals: 12 breakfasts and 1 evening meal incl
- Overseas Joining Point: Group hotel in Delhi