Indochina on a Shoestring
12 days | Guided | From £749
This mini-Indochina epic begins in Vietnam and the city of Saigon. After a walking tour exploring Saigon, we visit the Cu Chi Viet Cong Tunnels and then cross into Cambodia travelling overland to reach Phnom Penh.
12 days | Guided | From £749
Experience S.E. Asia without breaking the bank
- Explore Viet Cong Tunnels
- Visit the Angkor Temples
- Visit the Grand Palace at Bangkok
- Affordable Indochina on a budget
- Saigon to Bangkok overland
This mini-Indochina epic begins in Vietnam and the city of Saigon. After a walking tour exploring Saigon, we visit the Cu Chi Viet Cong Tunnels and then cross into Cambodia travelling overland to reach Phnom Penh. Here we take a cyclo tour of Phnom Penh visiting the Royal Palace and Tuol Sleng Prison and then head out by bus to see the Killing Fields of Choeung Ek.
Heading north by road, Siem reap is next on our list. On the way we'll make a stop at Skuon where fried spiders are the local delicacy. Trying this is entirely optional! Of course it's the Angkor Temple complex that we've come to Siem Reap for and in the late afternoon we drive out to watch the sunset over Angkor from Phnom Bakheng. A full day's guided tour is then devoted to exploring the magnificent Angkor Temples complex, including all the main sights and of course fabulous Angkor Wat itself. A leisure day follows where we can locally arrange visits to Banteay Sri, bicycle rental if you fancy heading out into the countryside, a Khmer cooking class, a boat cruise on Tonle Sap lake, or another visit to Angkor of you want to explore more.
Now we head for Thailand, crossing the border at Poipet and then heading across Thailand by private bus to vibrant Bangkok. After a tour of Bangkok 'local' style using klong boat, public bus and the skytrain, there's plenty of time to explore Bangkok deeper for whatever takes your fancy in this city that has so much packed in you maybe won't know where to begin. No doubt we'll celebrate the end of our Indochina mini-epic adventure tour with a 'night on the town' in Bangkok.
- Day 1 Depart UK
- Depart UK on an overnight flight to Saigon.
- Day 2 Arrive Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)
- Arrive Saigon. Rendezvous at the group hotel in time for 1800hrs pre-trip meeting
- Day 3 Walking tour of Saigon
- On our walking tour of bustling Saigon we'll visit sights such as the Reunification Palace and more.
- Day 4 Cu Chi Tunnels and to Cambodia
- Leaving Saigon we first visit the Viet Cong Cu Chi Tunnels, and can try out crawling through some sections before we then drive to the border crossing and enter Cambodia and carry on to reach Phnom Penh in the late afternoon.
- Day 5 Cyclo tour of Phnom Penh and the Killing Fields.
- On our cyclo tour of Phnom Penh we'll see the Royal Palace and visit Tuol Sleng Prison. We then take an excursion to visit the notorious Killing Fields.
- Day 6 To Siem Reap
- Heading north we travel overland to Siem Reap, stopping off at Skuon, where the local delicacy is fried spiders!
- Day 7 Angkor Wat
- Today is devoted to exploring the magnificent Angkor Temples complex.
- Day 8 Free day for more exploration
- Today is a free day. You could return to Angkor and dig deeper, or take an optional excursion to Banteay Srei Temple, or even take an afternoon boat cruise on Tonle Sap Lake.
- Day 9 Into Thailand and on to Bangkok
- We cross the border into Thailnad at Poipet and then continue overland to Bangkok.
- Day 10 Bangkok
- We have a guided tour of Bangkok and utilise the likes of the Skytrain and ferries to get around. No doubt we'll want to enjo the Bangkok nightlife tonight!
- Day 11 Depart Bangkok
- Depart Bangkok on an overnight flight back to the UK.
- Day 12 Arrive UK
- Flights arrive back in the UK today.
- 'At a Glance' trip features : Overland travel, culture, cyclo tour
- Trip Code: AIST
- Physical Grade: A/B - Easy/ Moderate
- Adventure Grade: B/C
- Group Size (Min - Max) : 4 - 16
- Accommodation : Hotel/Guest Houses 9nts
- Meals : Some meals included
- Overseas joining and Departure point : Join in Saigon, Depart Bangkok