Misty Mountain Gorillas
11 Days | Guided | From £2,199
A once in a lifetime trip that will blow your mind including tracking gorillas in Parc des Volcans, watching our closest living relatives (chimpanzees) in Nyungwe National Park and walking a section of the undiscovered Congo Nile Trail. You can also enjoy relaxing beside the shores of Lake Kivu and visit the Dian Fossey Project. Rwanda is a beautiful country with a vast amount to offer and at such great value, this trip should be unmissable.
11 Days | Guided | From £2,199
An all-encompassing visit to Rwanda
- Gorilla Tracking - one of the most thrilling wildlife encounters on Earth
- Trek in the Nyungwe Forest with Chimpanzees
- Walk part of The Congo Nile Trail
- Enjoy a boat trip on Lake Kivu
- Visit the Dian Fossey Project
Gorilla tracking is one of those bucket list, once in a lifetime adventures. You simply cannot be disappointed from the joy that seeing these huge yet humble primates will bring. And there are just two places in the world where you can see them in their natural habitat; Rwanda and Uganda.
When hearing of Rwanda, many people might conjure up horrific images of the genocide, however this is a stunning place which has incredible offerings to any visitor. It is another misunderstood African country which is partly why it is so great to rise above the confusion and enjoy its safe, peaceful and simply wonderful offerings.
For something a little different, we will take you on a wonderful 15 km walk along The Congo Nile Trail, the way to really experience rural Rwanda. This is an incredible route that is undiscovered by the masses so you needn't worry about bumping into many other tourists. You should see lots of local children along the way who are likely to enthusiastically run up to greet you with the English they have learnt at school.
From here, head to Lake Kivu, a huge freshwater lake that bounds the western side of Rwanda. Here you will be able to relax at your shore side accommodation and enjoy a boat trip on the lake. Finally, we bring you to Musanze City for the pinnacle moment you may have been waiting a lifetime for. Gorilla trekking in the wonderful Parc des Volcans. Home to roughly 480 mountain gorillas which is more than half of the world's population, this is the perfect place to experience the magical encounter of facing a Silverback gorilla.
The finale of this trip sees a popular hike near Parc des Volcans arriving at Dian Fossey's tomb and the adjacent gorilla cemetery in the former Karisoke Research Camp. A fascinating end to an outstanding experiential holiday.
- Day 1.
- Depart UK
- Day 2. Arrive Kigali
- Meet your leader and drive to your hotel along with the rest of the group. The rest of today is at leisure.
- Day 3. Visit the Genocide Museum and drive to Nyungwe National Park
- Visit Nyanza King's Palace en route.
- Day 4. Chimp trekking in Nyungwe NP
- The forest is treasured for its primates and has a remarkable 13 primate species recorded in this lush rainforest. After spotting chimpanzees and numerous fun troops of Black and White Colobus, you will enjoy a canopy walk which is fantastic for bird watching. The rest of the afternoon is free for relaxation or a village walk.
- Day 5. National Museum and school visit
- Drive to Butare to visit the National Museum which is a good source of information on the cultural history of Rwanda. Then visit a local school and have the chance to interact with pupils and teachers.
- Day 6. Walk the Congo Nile Trail
- Drive to Kinunu and then walk from Gisenyi along The Congo Nile Trail - a 15km walk dotted with fantastic view of Lake Kivu and coffee plantations. Enjoy a relaxing resort positioned perfectly beside Lake Kivu.
- Day 7. Boat Ride on Lake Kivu
- Enjoy a scenic boat ride, the rest of the afternoon is free to explore Gisenyi town and its markets of simply relax and enjoy the view.
- Day 8. Gorilla Tracking
- The undoubted highlight of your visit to Rwanda and of this trip falls today. Drive you Ruengeri where you will commence the thrilling and special experience of trekking amongst gorillas. Afternoon village walk with the opportunity to interact with local communities and craftsmen.
- Day 9. Walk to Dian Fossey's Grave
- Enjoy a popular hike near Parc des Volcans (Volcanoes National Park) and visit Dian Fossey's Tomb beside the gorilla cemetery as well as the Karisoke Research Camp.
- Day 10. Depart Kigali
- Today you will have the chance for some souvenir shopping before transferring to the airport for your departure flight.
- Day 11. Arrive UK
- Overnight flights arrive back in the UK this morning.
- Trip Features: Gorilla tracking, wildlife watching, walking, boat trips, culture, history, overland travel, national parks, lakes
- Trip Code: ARMG
- Physical Grade: B - Moderate
- Adventure Grade: B
- Group Size (Min - Max): 2-12
- Accommodation: Hotel x 5, Guesthouse x 3
- Meals: 8 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 7 evening meals incl
- Overseas Joining Point: Kigali International Airport
- Local Payment: There is no local payment as gorilla permits and park fees are included in the price. Note the gorilla permit must be paid for as part of your deposit and is non-refundable.