Lapland - Northern Lights Special
4 days | Guided | From £979
Sometimes it's said that it's all about 'location, location, location' and on our recent visit to northern Lapland we think we have 'discovered' the ideal location to be able to see the truly magnificent Aurora Borealis - The Northern Lights phenomenon.
4 days | Guided | From £979
- Experience the Aurora in a perfect, remote watching location
- Enjoy lots of snow fun
- Drive a husky sled team
- Discover the amazing Lapland wilderness
- Warm up with saunas on every night
Sometimes it's said that it's all about 'location, location, location' and on our recent visit to northern Lapland we think we have 'discovered' the ideal location to be able to see the truly magnificent Aurora Borealis - The Northern Lights phenomenon. The start of the year has been widely reputed to be one of the best times to not only see the Aurora due to predictions of solar activity being high, but also because it could also be one of the most spectacular displays too!
So, the location. High above the Arctic Circle, our base is a remote hotel that even Laplanders describe as 'the middle of nowhere'. With precious little light pollution and long periods of darkness too, this enhances Aurora viewing potential. Sure, the primary purpose of this trip is to try and see the Aurora at its very best, but we've also included some fun snow activities during the day too. Even after our programmed Aurora viewing excursions into the wilds by snowmobile and snowshoe, for anyone who wants 'more Aurora' it couldn't be better. You can either simply walk out onto the deep frozen, snow covered lake and look up for as long as you want (snow is very comfy to lie down in), or sit in a glass-roofed arctic hut by an open fire. If you need a bit of additional warmth, simply pop into the log-fired sauna, or the log fired hot tub and you'll be toasty in no time.
We'll also enjoy an 'Aurora Workshop' with an Aurora Guide who will tell us more about the Aurora and provide useful photographic tips too. That appears to be night-time taken care of (although during the polar winter it might not actually ever be daylight), so during the day we have one morning where we all become 'mushers' and have some fun driving a husky team pulling sleds. From our base you can also enjoy some additional free snow fun activities too and go cross-country skiing, do some more snowshoeing, kick sledding or tobogganing. Naturally, we hope the highlight will be clear skies and an appearance of the Aurora during the mystical polar night in this almost ethereal northern Lapland wilderness landscape.
- Day 1 Depart UK, arrive Ivalo
- Fly from UK to Ivalo (via Helsinki). Single, timed group transfer to hotel. After dinner look for northern lights on frozen lake.
- Day 2 In search of the northern lights by snowshoe
- Morning-optional snow fun activities. Aurora workshop. Hunt for northern lights in evening/night by snowshoe.
- Day 3 Huskies, Snow Mobiles and Aurora search
- Morning Husky Safari. Afternoon optional snow fun activities. Hunt for northern lights on snowmobiles.
- Day 4 Depart Ivalo, arrive UK
- Single, timed group transfer to Ivalo Airport. Fly from Ivalo (via Helsinki) and arrive UK
- 'At a Glance' trip features : Aurora watching, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, Husky sledding, optional snow fun activities
- Trip Code: ALNL
- Physical Grade: A - Easy
- Adventure Grade: A/B
- Group Size (Min - Max) : 2 - 10
- Accommodation : Hotel 3nts
- Meals : 3 breakfasts and 3 evening meals included
- Alternative Dates: This holiday is available from November to mid March. Please contact us to check availability.
- Overseas joining and Departure point : Join and depart Ivalo